Fruits and Berries Sharing the Gift of Growing Good Health
For the vast majority of people, obtaining and/or maintaining good health is an important goal in life. Unfortunately, good health isn't guaranteed and people must take certain steps, such as exercising and eating healthy, to reach that goal. Fruit plays a major role when it comes to eating
a healthy diet. People should incorporate more fresh fruits into their diets by adding them to their meals or having them as snacks during the day. Berries are tasty and convenient fruits that are portable and highly nutritious. Popular berries include blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and
blackberries. While they are readily available in stores, they are fruits that may also be grown in one's home garden under the right circumstances.
When choosing berries or other fruits to either plant or buy for immediate consumption, one should consider their color. That's because berries are high in antioxidants, which is often related to the fruit's pigment. Berries that are blue, red, or purple contain anthocyanins, which may help
with memory, aging, and reduce the risk of certain forms of cancer. Blueberries, for example, are one of the healthiest foods and are considered a "superfood" due to the high levels of antioxidants that they contain, including vitamin C and manganese. Red raspberries are berries that also have
high levels of vitamin C and can be helpful when it comes to inflammation and arthritis. By understanding how these fruits are helpful, people can make the healthiest choices when it comes to what they consume.
- Helpful Garden Links: The Luray Garden Club provides this helpful page of links to garden clubs and information. The links are divided into Virginia and national sections.
- Links of Interest to Central Oklahoma Gardeners: People with a casual or serious interest in gardening who live in Central Oklahoma will find numerous links to garden-related resources
- Enchanted Garden Links: On this page, visitors to the Enchanted Garden website will find a list of resources that include environmental and organizational sites and grant links.
- Oiyakaha: Nature Resources: This is a page of links to natural resources including sites pertaining to food, bees, and flora.
- Get Digging: Gardening Resources: Gardeners will find a long list of garden-related resources by clicking this link. Resources include organizations, equipment, magazines, and general information sites.
- University of Florida, Nassau County: Horticulture Links: People interested in horticulture may click on this link for a list of related resources.
- Cute Wedding Berries: The Bridal Blog briefly discusses chocolate-covered strawberries decorated for the bride and groom.
- Bubba Army Recaps: Open this page to read Bubba the Love Sponge recaps.
- Six Healthy Valentine's Day Gifts, Including Dark Chocolate-Covered Berries: Browse this page for Valentine's Day gift ideas that are romantic, thoughtful, and healthy.
- Fruit Arrangements and Other Gift Ideas for Grandma: Click this link to read various gift ideas suitable for grandmothers, such as sweet treats, collectibles, nostalgic items, and even electronics.
- Oscar Infographic by Shari's Berries: Visitors to this site will fun a fun infographic about the Academy Awards.
- Chocolate Berries and Other Gifts Moms of Multiples Love: Scroll down this page to view ten gift ideas for mothers of multiples.
- Pampers Gifts to Grow Sample Basket: Parents can learn how to redeem points from the Pampers Gifts to Grow Program by clicking on this link. With 400 points, people can get a sample basket filled with
- Football Chocolate-Covered Berries for the Super Bowl: This website features a page on how to make chocolate-covered strawberries that look like footballs.
- Online Shopping: Consumers Window-Shop More Than They Impulse-Buy: On this page, readers will find an article that discusses the shopping habits of online consumers.
- Fruit Arrangements and Other Healthy Super Bowl Sunday Recipes: Get ready for Super Bowl Sunday by visiting this site for links to healthy recipes. In addition to the recipes, readers may view photos of some
- Sports-Themed Berries and Other Football Snack Inspirations: This page features images of football-themed snack ideas that the whole family can enjoy.
- Valentine's Day Musts: View some great Valentine's Day gift ideas featured on this website.
- Cake Pops by Shari's Berries: This website reviews cake pops that are handmade by Shari's Berries. The site includes photos of the cake pops as well.
- Christmas Chocolate and Gifts: Visitors to this site may read about various types of chocolates. The page also discusses chocolates that are ideal for adults and chocolates for kids.
- Healthy Eating and Links to Sites Discussing Fruit and Fruit Arrangements: Click this link to read an informational article that discusses healthy eating. Following the primary article, there is a list of links
to sites on food, various fruits, fruit arrangements, and more.
- The Families' Guide to Berries, Fruits, and Better Food: Parents who open this link are given information on healthy eating for kids and the benefits of berries and fruit. The page also includes a list of healthy eating resources.
- Fruit and Nut Fact Sheets: Open this link to the Texas A & M Agrilife Extension website for access to fact sheets on various fruits and nuts.
- Fruit Resources: This page from the Ohio State University offers visitors links to information on various fruits, such as apples, grapes, and peaches, for example.
- ASA Cakes: Welcome to the Cake Agency: Click this link to open up the Web page for the student-run ASA Cake Agency, which offers baked goods throughout the year. The page includes a link that takes site visitors to a page where
they can view cake options.
- Edible Centerpiece Designer Course: People interested in taking a course for designing edible centerpieces will find details about the course here at Broward College.
- University of Maine Dining: Cake Ordering: On this page, readers will find a link to start ordering cakes and/or whoopie pies from the University of Maine dining center.
- Tree Fruit: Open this page for information on tree fruit from the Cornell University website. Once on the page, readers can preview links about production, food safety, harvesting, and more.
- Tree Fruit: Updates and More: Read tree fruit updates from the specialists at the Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- Penn State Extension: Strawberries: Gardeners and students may click this link for an informative page on strawberries as a fruit crop. On the page, readers will also find links that are strawberry-related.
- Growing Strawberries in Minnesota Gardens: This page provides information for gardeners or anyone interested in growing strawberries in Minnesota. The page is broken into categories that
discuss helpful hints, getting started with strawberries, care through the seasons, and cultivars.
- Fact Sheet: Strawberries Are an Excellent Fruit for the Home Garden: Before planting strawberries, people should click this link to read an information fact sheet on the fruit.
- Informational Facts About Strawberries (PDF): Go to this document for information regarding strawberries. People who read the document will also find information labeled the "keys to success."
- Home Fruit Production: Strawberries: Learn about strawberries, planting strawberries, and first-year care of strawberry crops.
- Growing Strawberries (PDF): This is a helpful document that includes information on all things strawberries.
- Small Fruit Crops for the Backyard: On this page, visitors may read everything about strawberries, from selection to planting and care.
- UGA Extension: Strawberries: The page associated with this link is a brief overview on strawberries.
- Strawberry Fruit Rots (PDF): Read this plant pathology fact sheet about strawberries and various forms of mold or rot that affect it.
- Anthracnose Fruit Rot of Strawberries: Click this link to the University of Florida site and read about fruit rot of strawberries.
- Growing Strawberries in Colorado Gardens: Before growing strawberries in Colorado, gardeners will want to click on this link to read an overview of the fruit, including how to plant and care for it.
- Growing Strawberries in Your Home Garden (PDF): Home gardeners may wish to click this link for strategies and advice on how to safely grow strawberries in their garden.